Lox, or Cured Salmon. This is traditionally part of any Danish Smorgaasbord., Also wonderful for any recipe calling for Lox - appetizers etc. The wine and cognac cures the raw salmon.
- 1½ lbs filet red salmon, boned,skin on
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked white pepper
- 8 sprigs dill (enough to lightly cover the filet)
- ¼ cup cognac
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Combine the Sugar, salt sprinkle on to the flesh side of the salmon.
- Cover loosely with fresh dill sprigs, press spices and dill into salmon.
- In a glass or ceramic shallow dish, just large enough to hold the salmon mix the cognac& wine.
- Place the salmon skin side up into the dish.
- Cover the dish loosely with plastic wrap and place a board the size to the salmon on top, weight it with apprx a 2-3 lb weight, tighten the plastic wrap Place in fridge and allow to marinate for 3–4 days.
- Transfer salmon to a cutting board and cut the salmon horizontally into thin slices.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.