Purchased from Stahl Estate in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1988. Notation indicates this came from a 1954 newspaper clipping, but I don't have the source information
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 beaten egg
- cream butter and add the dry ingredients.
- Pour boiling water over dates and let sit for five minutes.
- Add nuts, dates and water to dry mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in beaten egg.
- Pour into greased square pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool and cover with topping.
- For Topping:
- Boil the brown sugar and sour cream together for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add the dates and boil for 5 minutes longer.
- Let cool and spread on cooled cake.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.