I got this recipe from a lady who is now in her 90s and still going strong. She said this recipe came from the 1920s sometime and was used in my neck of the woods, out Barkerville way (a gold rush town from the 1890s that has been made into a tourist trap) because there were so many Chinese that came up to make there fortune, it ended up being called Chinese chews, but she swears that the name is date chewsticks.
- Beat eggs and sugar, add baking powder, vanilla, and flour.
- Add the dates last and mix thoroughly.
- Batter will be thick.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When cooled sprinkle icing sugar over the top and rub in until completely coated with icing sugar.
- Can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Takes about 10 – 15 minutes longer.