- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (or more!) chopped or crushed
- 1½ lbs fresh mushrooms (sliced or whole)
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1¾ cups barley
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dill weed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots, diced
- In a large pot combine chopped onion, celery, garlic and mushrooms.
- Saute for about 4 minutes in just enough vegetable stock to keep them from sticking.
- Add the barley, soy sauce, seasonings, the rest of the vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- 45 minutes before it"s done, add the chopped carrots.
- If it gets too thick, add additional water.
- Try to keep people from opening the lid :)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.