- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- ½ to ¾ cup skim milk
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano leaves, dried
- ½ tsp basil leaves, dried
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ lbs mozzarella cheese, grated 1 cup
- Suggestion: for 2 servings, use a small aluminum foil pan about 4 x 8 inches or press a sheet of aluminum foil into a loaf pan and set the foil pan on a cookie sheet.
- Measure half the other ingredients and freeze the remaining 3 ounces of tomato paste for a future meal.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cook the ground turkey in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until cooked through.
- Stir occasionally.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and margarine in a bowl.
- Cut the margarine into the flour with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add enough milk to make a soft, elastic dough (like biscuit dough).
- Press the dough into the sides and bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the tomato paste and seasonings and spread over the dough.
- Crumble the ground turkey over the sauce.
- Sprinkle on the green pepper, mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is brown and crisp.
- Cut into four squares to serve.
Nutritional information Edit
For ¼ recipe:
- 358 calories, 3 low-fat protein, 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat exchanges 26 grams protein, 34 grams carbohydrate, 20 grams fat, 584 mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.