Purchased from Taylor Estate in Mineral Wells Texas in 1984. Dated 1922
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 slices bread, buttered on both sides
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped dates (or can substitute raisins)
- Put Sugar in top of double boiler.
- Cut buttered bread into one inch cubes and put on top of Sugar.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt and vanilla together and pour over cubes.
- Do not stir.
- Add chopped dates on top.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and Sugar.
- Cover tightly.
- Cook over boiling water until firm, approximately 1-1/2 hours.
- Bread will rise to top leaving the sauce on the bottom
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.