Contributed by Anita at Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2⅔ cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil
- 2 tsp minced fresh oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- In a large sauce pan, sauté onions in oil until tender.
- Add the tomato juice, water, basil, oregano, sugar and celery salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes; cook 10 minutes longer.
Nutritional information Edit
For a 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium tomato juice):
- 82 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
- Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.