Stuffed cabbage leaves with sweet-sour sauce. This is an Iranian version of Stuffed cabbage leaves
- 18 leaves cabbage
- 750 g finely ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup short-grain rice
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- Separate the leaves carefully from the head of the cabbage.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 5 minutes until limp.
- Do not overcook.
- Drain in a colander.
- Cut out the thick section [ribs], only removing the lower portion.
- Combine the mince with onion, rice, herbs and turmeric.
- Add 1½ tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture into 18 portions.
- Spread a cabbage leaf flat on the work surface and place one filling portion on the base of the leaf.
- Roll once, fold in the sides and roll up into a firm package.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Line a heavy pan with cabbage trimmings or a well washed outer leaf.
- Pack rolls in close together in layers.
- Add 1 cup cold water and invert a heavy plate over the rolls.
- Cover, bring to a simmer and cook gently for 45 minutes.
- Blend sugar and vinegar and add to pan.
- Tilt pan to blend liquids.
- Cover and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with chelou or flat bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.