- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp brewed strong coffee
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in top of double boiler over boiling water and medium-low heat, stirring to blend.
- Stir in brown sugar, vanilla and coffee.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat whole egg, egg whites and granulated sugar until light and thick, for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, and slowly add melted chocolate mixture.
- Beat in flour/cocoa mixture.
- Transfer to a smaller bowl, cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until center of cookie sets.
- Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.