Recipe from The Sneaky Kitchen
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 cups low-fat or skim milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup cream cheese, fat free, light, or Neufchatel
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add between ½ to 1 cup of the milk, stirring to dissolve the corn starch.
- Place the remaining milk in a Teflon saucepan over medium fire.
- Heat just to the boiling point, stirring frequently.
- Stir the sugar/corn starch mixture again to re-mix.
- Pour into the hot milk and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat for a moment.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork in the same small container in which the sugar and starch were mixed.
- Pour a tablespoon of hot pudding into the yolks, beating with a fork or whisk.
- Continue to add and beat until you have added about ¼ cup of the hot mixture.
- Return pudding to the fire and add the egg yolk mixture, stirring vigorously.
- Continue to stir until mixture boils for another minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the cream cheese in the small bowl. Add a little hot pudding and mix well.
- Continue to add hot pudding, stirring until the cream cheese is liquefied.
- Add the cheese mixture to the pudding.
- Add the fat-free sour cream and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Serve plain and warm or with other desserts.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.