Baked penne with sausage and garlic
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Cooking Light, October 2000
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 1 pound sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup (about 2½ ounces) shredded gruyère or Swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups hot cooked penne (about 1 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta) or rigatoni
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves).
- Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350F for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes.
- Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Set garlic aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Place sausage in a large bowl; stir in sage and rosemary.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add the flour to melted butter, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add the milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in roasted garlic, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Remove mixture from heat.
- Add 5½ cups cheese sauce and cooked pasta to sausage, stirring to coat.
- Spoon pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Calories 434 (30% from fat) | fat 14.4g (sat 7.2g, mono 4.5g, poly 2g) | protein 26.3g | cholesterol 57 mg | calcium 425 mg | sodium 700 mg | fiber 1.4g | iron 3 mg | carbohydrate 48.7g