Pigeon pie. For a feast it is better to take a turkey otherwise you need too many fowls.
- puff pastry
- 1 or 2 pigeons
- a little fat
- some thinly sliced onions
- some cloves
- a few allspice
- a bay leaf
- some peppercorns
- a little water
- a little vermicelli (laxa)
- some sago
- Line a flat pie-dish or a large plate with puff-pastry.
- Spread the following filling over it, leaving and edge of about an inch.
- Filling : cut up one or two turkeys.
- Heat a little fat and brown some thinly sliced onions, but do not let them go too dark.
- Then put in the pigeon and braise it gently.
- Add some cloves, a few allspice, a bay-leaf and some peppercorns.
- If necessary add a little water.
- When the meat is almost cooked add a little vermicelli (laxa) and some sago.
- Let all the ingredients simmer until the pigeon is cooked.
- Remove the bones and cut the meat small.
- Spread the meat evenly over the pastry and cover it with a second layer.
- Prick it and brush it with egg.
- Then bake it in a hot oven until it is nice and crisp.
- The oven must be hot otherwise the pastry will not go flaky.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.