- 2 liters of water
- 500 g of dried split green peas, rinsed
- 1 smoked ham hock
- ½ cup sliced leeks
- ½ cup sliced onions
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ½ cup diced carrot
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound smoked sausage (kielbasa), sliced thin
- Bring the water to a boil in a large heavy pot, then add peas and ham hock.
- When the water reboils, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook, partially covered, for 2 hours.
- Stir it from time to time.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients (except the kielbasa) and simmer for 30 more minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove the ham hock, cut away the meat, and return it to the pot with the kielbasa.
- Simmer for a couple of hours.
- Although the soup is now done and can be eaten, best is to leave it overnight and gently reheat the next day.
- Eat with dark, heavy bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.