- 2 red bell peppers, sliced in ½ inch wide strips
- 3 big onions, or 4 small onions
- ½ garlic bulb
- 1 lbs mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 jars fat-free spaghetti sauce or homemade equivalent
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. You will need 2 non-stick standard size baking sheets.
- Cut the bell peppers into strips and place on a non-stick baking sheet, skin side down.
- Cut the onions into thick (½") slices and place on baking sheet.
- Peel the skin off the garlic cloves and set the cloves on top of the onion slices (one clove per onion slice).
- Bake at 400 °F for 30 – 40 minutes. The vegetables should be soft and have just a few brown spots.
- While the vegetables roast, slice the mushrooms and saute them in 1 t water in the bottom of a big saucepan.
- When they are cooked, add the 2 jars of spaghetti sauce and the basil.
- Warm the whole sauce through and allow to simmer until the roasted vegetables are done.
- Dump the roasted vegetables into the sauce and stir to separate the onion rings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.