Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: dLife
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 2 small red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 x 14 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon fresh paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley
- 4 thick slices grainy bread
- In a large frying pan over low heat, heat the oil and gently cook the peppers until they are soft, about 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in the garlic and chile and cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, harissa and spices, and stir to combine well.
- Increase the heat to medium and then let the tomato mixture cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick pulp.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 equally spaced depression in the tomato mixture, then carefully break one egg into each depression.
- Cover the pan and leave it to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the yolks are still soft, but the whites of the eggs are cooked.
- Sprinkle with the chives or parsley and serve immediately with toasted grainy bread.
Alternative method Edit
- Alternatively, you can also prepare this dish by pouring the tomatoes mixture into four individual ovenproof dishes.
- After making the egg depression and cracking the egg on top, cover each dish lightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes at 350°F.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories: 265 | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 13g | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fiber: 5g | Sodium: 375mg
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.