- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup Half-and-half
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 slice Dry cinnamon raisin bread quartered
Cranberry-maple sauce Edit
- 1/3 cup Pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup cranberries if frozen, do not thaw
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp Bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350f 15 minutes before baking, with the rack in the center of the oven.
- butter a 6-cup souffle dish.
- Have a kettle of boiling water ready and a baking pan large enough to hold the souffle dish.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolk and Sugar until light.
- Mix in the butter, the half-and-half, brandy, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Place the bread in the souffle dish and pour the custard over it.
- Press the bread into the custard so it gets well soaked.
- Let rest 20 minutes.
- Put the souffle dish in the baking pan and place on the oven rack.
- Pour boiling water into the baking pan so it comes halfway up the sides of the souffle dish.
- Bake until the custard is softly set in the center, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the water bath.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with cranberry-maple sauce.
- Once cooled, the pudding can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, cover with aluminum foil with several slits in it.
- Bake in a preheated 350f oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature with cranberry-maple sauce.
- Cranberry-maple sauce: bring the maple syrup and Sugar to a boil in a small non-aluminum pan, then cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and cook until their skins burst and they begin to pop, 6 to 8 minutes, or slightly longer if they are frozen.
- Cut the butter into 3 pieces.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter, 1 piece at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding another.
- Add the Bourbon. Sauce can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to a week.
- Reheat gently and thin with 2 to 3 tablespoons water before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.