- Eggplant Lasagna from the NDEP Recipe and Meal Planner Guide, US government resource in the public domain—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 1 hour
- Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, sliced very thin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced very thin
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until tender, about 2–3 minutes.
- Transfer to an 8x8 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
- Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients.
- Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and bake 10–15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.