- 1¼ lb eggplant
- 1½ cups ripe olives, pitted and halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the eggplant into thin slices.
- Mix the olive oil with all the herbs.
- Brush on both sides of the eggplant slices.
- Brown the eggplant slices on both sides until tender in a non-stick skillet.
- Layer half the eggplant slices, mozzarella, ricotta, spaghetti sauce, fennel seed and (in that order) in an oiled oven safe casserole dish.
- Repeat the layers.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Garnish with olives.
- Bake until hot and bubbly (about 25 minutes).
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.