- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 14 oz can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp oregano, basil and paprika
- salt and pepper
- 6 matzos
- 1 lbs mozzarella-style soy cheese shredded
- Pre-heat broiler.
- Cut eggplants into ½ inch slices and peel.
- Brush lightly with oil and broil on each side till tender.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute till golden.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley and seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Break each matzo into 3 strips.
- Fill a shallow casserole dish with lightly salted water.
- Place matzo strips into water for 2 t 3 minutes, till pliable but not mushy.
- Remove carefully to a plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly oil a large, shallow casserole dish and layer as follows: a thin layer of sauce, a layer of eggplant, a layer of matzo, a layer of cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, till cheese shows some brown spots.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.