This soup is made and packed with vegetables, mushrooms, and herbs mixed with chicken broth and wine and is great with other vegetarian or main dishes.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, and cut into 1" dice
- 1 large onion, diced,
- 2 large zucchini, cut ½" dice
- 3 large tomatoes, cut ½" dice
- 1 head garlic, separated into each clove
- ½ lb. mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6-7 cups chicken broth or water
- ½ cup red wine
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)
- Toss egpplant, onion, zucchini, tomato, garlic, and mushrooms with olive oil.
- Layer vegetables evenly on a 15-by-9-inch jellyroll pan.
- Roast at 350° F until browned, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Purée roasted vegetables in blender and transfer to saucepan. Add broth and wine.
- Simmer over medium heat until slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add basil and oregano.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve in heated cups or bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Servings: 5 tablespoons per bowl