Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Serves 6
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, freshly chopped or 2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large eggplant or zucchini
- 1 lbs Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1½ cups dry bread cubes
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté the onion in the oil in a saucepan until the onion is tender.
- Add the tomato paste, water, oregano, parsley and salt.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cut the eggplant (or zucchini) into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange one layer of eggplant slices in the bottom of a lightly-oiled 9- by 13 inch baking pan.
- Pour on about ⅓ cup of the tomato sauce.
- Top with the Swiss cheese slices.
- Add another layer of eggplant slices and pour on about ½ cup of the tomato sauce.
- Combine the rest of the sauce with the bread cubes and spoon over the eggplant.
- Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 325°F oven for about 25 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
For one serving
- calories: 385 | carbohydrates: 17 | protein: 26 | fat: 26 | sodium: 497 | potassium: 471 | cholesterol: 72
- Exchange values: 3 high-fat meat exchanges + 1 bread exchange + 1 fat exchange
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.