Makes 6 servings.
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 slices bread
- ⅓ cup milk or water
- 6 to 8 ounces crab meat
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- paprika for garnish
- Cook eggplant in boiling water 5 minutes; drain.
- Cook celery, onion and green pepper in butter until soft but not brown.
- Combine with rice in large mixing bowl.
- Soak bread in milk; crumble.
- Add to rice mixture.
- Stir in crab meat, parsley, salt, garlic, black pepper and red pepper; mix well.
- Turn into buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish or into individual casseroles; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes (about 20 minutes for individual casseroles) or until hot and bubbly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.