Makes 8 servings.
- 1 to 2 small Eggplants, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Sprinkle salt over Eggplant slices, let stand.
- Meanwhile heat oil in large skillet; cook Onion and garlic over moderate heat until just beginning to color.
- Add rice, spaghetti sauce, pinto beans, green pepper, walnuts, wine and cinnamon; heat through and keep on low heat.
- Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Stir in flour and when smooth, gradually add milk.
- Stir over moderate heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- When thick, add nutmeg, remove from heat; stir in 2/3 cup Cheese.
- Let sauce cool 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs lightly, beat in a little of Cheese sauce to temper; slowly beat eggs into remaining sauce with a fork.
- To assemble casserole, spray bottom of 9x13-inch pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Layer one third of the Eggplant in overlapping slices.
- Spread half the bean/rice filling over Eggplant.
- Cover with another layer of Eggplant, bean/rice filling and remaining Eggplant.
- Pour sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Cheese.
- Bake 1 hour until done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.