- 1 ounce lotus seeds
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 ounces Chinese red dates
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 red maraschino cherry, stemless
- 1 cup any candied fruits
- 1 cup red bean paste
- Add lotus seeds to cold water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Simmer on low heat 20 minutes.
- Drain and cool. Split into halves. Set aside.
- Put red dates in bowl on rack in pot or in steamer.
- Steam covered over boiling water 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Put rice in pot with water level 3/4 inch above rice.
- Bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in Sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Mix well. Set aside.
- Grease medium-sized bowl heavily with oil.
- Place cherry in center.
- Arrange lotus seeds, red dates, and candied fruits in circles around bottom and up to edge of bowl, glazed side down.
- Spread a layer of rice mixture over fruits carefully so as not to spoil the design.
- Spoon a layer of red bean paste over the rice.
- Cover with another layer of rice. Pack tight.
- Place bowl on rack in pot or in steamer. Cover.
- Steam over boiling water 1 hour.
- Remove pudding carefully by running flexible spatula around edge.
- Put serving plate over bowl and invert bowl.
- Serve pudding with sweet almond Sauce -
- Boil 3 tablespoons Sugar in 1 cup water, stirring to dissolve the Sugar.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon almond extract.
- Thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.