Steamed savoury bean dish from the Western states of Nigeria.
- Serves 4.
- 225 g / 8 oz beans
- 1 fresh pepper (ground)
- 1 onion (ground)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 tablespoon palm oil
- warm water to mix pinch of kaun (potash)
- prawns and sawa leaves for wrapping
- Prepare the beans as for Moyin-Moyin and grind into a smooth paste.
- Pour into a clean bowl, add the Kaun and salt and mix well adding warm water gradually until it is well aerated and light.
- Place mixture on clean leaves and wrap into parcels.
- Arrange parcels carefully in pot of boiling water with a false base as for moyin-moyin, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 30–45 minutes.
- It should be firm to the touch when cooked.
- Prepare the ata sauce with palm-oil, tomatoes, onions and peppers.
- Add the prawns and sawa.
- Mash the cooked ekuru in a bowl and add the ata sauce.
- Mix thoroughly and serve on a dish with cold eko.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.