- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion, yellow or white only
- 1 can (14 oz.) drained kidney beans
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup chunky salsa sauce
- ¼ cup dry green lentils
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 12 thick slices tomato
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until tender but not browned.
- Add beans, stock, rice, corn, salsa, lentils, sweet pepper, chili powder, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve over tomato slices.