Description Mom used to speak of her grandmothers Prune Kolaches Edit
This is a traditional Bohemian pastry recipe handed down from my wife's much beloved Bohemian grandmother who took joy in watching her family eat. It seems like it isn't a real family get-together without kolaches and it also seems like there are never enough made. If you don't like prunes, any fruit filling will work very, very well.
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups milk, scalded
- 2 packages yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 5 cups flour
- 1 package prunes
Prune topping Edit
- Cook prunes in water until soft.
- Beat until well mashed.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Put yeast in ½ cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar.
- Scald 1½ cup milk.
- Add ½ cup sugar, ½ cup butter, and 2 tsp salt to scalded milk in large bowl beat in 2 cups flour.
- Add beaten egg yolks and remaining 3 cups flour.
- Put on flat surface and knead.
- Put in greased, large bowl and let rise until doubled in size.
- Make into large walnut-size balls and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Dip finger in melted butter and make a 'well' in top surface of the balls.
- Fill with prune filling and let set for approx 10 minutes.
- Bake in 375°F degree oven for approx 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush bread surface with more butter.
- Optional: sprinkle top with coconut.