Sri Lankan mutton curry
- 900 g mutton
- 50 ml vinegar
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 slices ginger
- 50 ml oil
- ½ tsp chile powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp pepper, black
- 3 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- curry leaf sprigs
- 500 ml coconut milk
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut the mutton into bite size pieces and place in a bowl.
- Pour on the vinegar and leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion, then grind in a pestle and mortar with the garlic and ginger.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the chile powder, paprika powder, turmeric, black pepper, coriander powder, cumin powder, fenugreek and curry leaves and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Drain and remove the mutton from the marinade and add to the pan.
- Fry for 5 minutes, then pour in the coconut milk together with the marinade and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for i hour, or until mutton is cooked.
- Just prior to serving sprinkle with the curry powder and add salt to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.