Macanese-style fish pie
Macanese pastry dough
- 2¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
- 8 tbsp cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp port
- 1 lb red snapper filets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 recipe Macanese pastry dough
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup green olives
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Macanese pastry dough
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, work butter and margarine into flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in the center, and add egg, egg yolk, and port; then beat together with a fork until frothy.
- Gradually work in flour until mixture just holds together.
- Knead dough a few times on a lightly floured surface using the heel of your hand and pressing down and away from you to make a smooth, dense dough.
- Divide dough in half and shape into rounds.
- Roll out rounds on a lightly floured surface into 8" circles (dough rounds will be fragile).
- Run your fingers over the fish filets, then remove any bones that you feel.
- Generously season fish with salt and pepper, then lightly dredge in flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry fish on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove fish from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same pan.
- Add garlic and half the scallions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cumin, coriander, and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add ½ cup water and return fish to skillet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer until fish is just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Allow fish to cool, then use a fork to break fish into large chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fit 1 pastry round into an 8" pie pan and, with your fingertips, press dough to fit pan.
- Spoon filling into pie shell, then sprinkle with remaining scallions and the mint.
- Scatter olives on top, then sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Cover pie with remaining pastry round, crimp edges, and cut a few slits in the center for steam to escape.
- Bake until crust is golden and filling is hot, about 35 minutes.