Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: Makes approximately 10 six-inch empanadas
- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.