Makes 10 baked empanadas.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg (beaten)
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 1 cup melted shortening
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 onions
- ½ tsp each chilli powder, cumin and oregano
- 500 g ground beef
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- 20 black olives
- 40 large raisins
- To prepare dough: sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolk, egg, milk and shortening.
- Mix to make a stiff dough.
- Divide into 20 pieces and roll each thinly into a circle.
- In frying pan, heat oil with paprika and saute onions until soft.
- Add chilli powder, oregano, cumin and salt.
- Add meat and mix with onions.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Place a spoonful of stuffing on half of each dough circle.
- Add slices of egg, raisins and.
- Fold dough over filling.
- Wet the edge with milk, fold over again and seal.
- Bake in a 200°C oven until cooked and lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.