This recipe is for 4 servings.
- 1 large Spanish onion or Vidalia onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the onion slices and salt in a bowl; cover with cold water, and soak for about 10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and rinse briefly under cold running water.
- Shake well.
- This step will eliminate most of the sharpness of the onion.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a platter.
- salt generously.
- Top with the onion, chile, and cilantro.
- Sprinkle the oil evenly over the salad, toss to combine, and serve at once.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.