- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder (2 eggs in place of baking powder AFTER LENT)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Lukewarm water
- oil or shortening for frying
- Prepare yeast according to directions (recipe above).
- Sift flour into large bowl; make hole in middle, add salt, yeast and baking powder (you may use in place of baking powder 2 eggs after LENT) and mix.
- Begin adding water and beat well until the batter is thick and drops gently from the spoon.
- Cover and allow to rise in warm place for 1/2 hour.
- Beat down for 1 minute and cover to allow to rise again for about 1/2 hour.
- Place about 2 cups oil in large frying pan; heat and drop large tablespoons of batter into pan.
- Fry as many as pan will hold.
- Turn and fry until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Continue frying until all batter is used.
- Sprinkle with Sugar if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.