- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ + ¼ cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 9 canned pineapple slices
- 9 maraschino cherry halves
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix brown sugar and ⅓ cup butter in a bowl.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon.
- Spread evenly over the bottom of an ungreased 9" cast iron skillet or a 9" x 9" baking pan.
- Heat until the brown sugar melts.
- Arrange pineapple slices over the brown sugar mixture.
- Place a cherry half in the middle of each slice.
- Beat egg yolks in a mixer bowl until thickened.
- Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating constantly until blended.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add shortening, ¼ cup butter, pineapple juice, half and half, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until blended, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Mix in egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Invert the skillet onto a serving platter, allowing the skillet to rest on the cake for several minutes before removing.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.