- -- Dough:
- 500g (1 lb 2oz) plain flour
- 150ml (¼ pint) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon dry yeast soaked in 250ml (9fl oz) of warm water
- -- Filling:
- 250g (9oz) fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 50g (2oz) pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon *sumac
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- First soak the dry yeast in 250ml (9fl oz) warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Next add the olive oil to the yeast, mix well then pour this mixture gradually into the well of the flour.
- Knead for 15 minutes until you achieve a wet dough, which is soft, and not sticking to the bowl. Brush a little olive oil on the surface. Cover with cloth and leave in a warm place for 1-1½ hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the pine nuts on medium heat until slightly browned. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Chop spinach and Onion finely or place in blender separately, squeeze out excess water and set aside. Fry the chopped Onion on high heat for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and stir for 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add sumac, salt, pepper, lemon juice and pine nuts. Mix well then remove from heat. Set aside in pan.
- Roll out the dough into 1 cm (½ inch) thickness. Next cut out 9 cm (3½ inch) squares (cover any unused dough). Add 1 teaspoon of the filling onto the centre of dough squares and fold corner to corner and pinch tightly. (see above illustration).
- Lay the spinach parcels on a greased shallow baking tray measuring approx 40 x 28 cm (16 x 11 inches) tray and brush the surface of each parcel with olive oil. Preheat oven to180 °C (350 °F) Gas mark 4 for five minutes and bake for 10–15 minutes or until golden brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.