Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Adapted from an American Diabetes Association Recipe
- Found at: www.mysanantonio.com
- Makes 4 servings (½ onion per serving)
- 2 large sweet or Spanish onions (about 1½ lb total, peeled)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped, reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- ¼ cup (1-ounce) crumbled feta cheese
- Place onions in large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and cook until onions are partially tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and cool; cut onions in half crosswise.
- Scoop out center of each onion half, leaving a ½-inch shell.
- Reserve the centers.
- If necessary, cut a small piece from the end of each onion shell so shells will stand upright.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop reserved centers of onions.
- Sauté in oil with garlic in a medium saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Remove from the heat; stir in bread crumbs, tomatoes,parsley and cheese.
- Fill onion shells with mixture.
- Set on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional information Edit
Approximate values per serving:
- 150 calories | 5g protein | 24g carbs | 4g dietary fiber | 4g fat | 0 mg cholesterol | 150 mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.