Pastry with ground meat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 lb super lean ground beef / [[ground lamb|lamb]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ egg(s)
- 1 cup of milk (or skim milk)
- 1 package of frozen fillo dough sheets (thawed overnight)
- Sauté the onion in the oil until it changes color to dark yellow.
- Add the meat and brown it then add the water, salt and pepper and let it cook until all the water has evaporated.
- If you decide to use nuts add them at this time.
- This is called asaag and it is used in makaronah felforn bilbashamel (pasta casserole).
- Open the fillo dough package and divide the sheets in half (they are usually sheets of 10x20" rectangles, you want to end up with 2 stacks of 10x10 sheets.
- In a greased 9x12x3" baking dish layer 2 to 3 sheets at a time and sprinkle them with a few drops of the melted butter, and so on until you finish the first half of the sheets.
- Spread the meat and nut mixture on it and start doing the same thing with the other half of the sheets.
- Don't worry about spreading the butter on the sheets.
- When you finish with all the dough cut the feteer in 2x1" squares with a sharp knife.
- Mix together the left-over melted butter, the egg and the milk and a pinch of salt (not much) beat it with fork.
- At this point, if you want, you can wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ½ hr before it is time to eat.
- Pour the egg mixture gently over the feteer and bake, uncovered, in a 375°F oven for about 20 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the feteer turns gold yellow.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.