- 1 fish or fish head about ¾ lb
- 1 qt cold water
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb root vegetables
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 clove
- Cut up onions, eschallot and celery and fry lightly in the butter.
- Avoid browning; use a cover if necessary.
- Clean and add fish or fish head, water and salt.
- Heat to boiling point.
- Skim and add vegetables previously peeled washed and diced.
- Add clove.
- Reduce heat. Simmer for 30–40 minutes.
- Remove fish, separate flesh from bone and return flesh to the soup and reheat.
- Remove fish head if used, and serve separately if liked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.