- 500 g fish
- 1 cup walnut kernels
- 5 cups grape vinegar
- 2 – 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cloves and cinnamon
- 1 tsp kindza (coriander) seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole allspice
- 1 whole pepper
- ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Cut the cleaned fish into pieces, place in a saucepan and add just enough water to cover.
- Put in the bay leaves and allspice and cook for 30 – 40 minutes.
- When tender arrange the fish in a serving platter.
- Crush the walnuts or put them through the food grinder together with garlic, the whole pepper and salt.
- Add the kindza seeds which have been crushed, mix thoroughly, pour in the fish liquor and transfer the mixture to a clean saucepan.
- Add finely chopped onion and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves and black pepper which have been combined with vinegar.
- Continue to cook 10 minutes longer.
- Pour the hot satsivi over the fish, cool and serve pomegranate or sour grape juice may be substituted for the vinegar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.