- 200 g dried rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 small red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3½ cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500 g firm white fish fillets, cubed
- 2 ham steaks, diced
- 150g snake beans, chopped
- 180g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup fresh mint
- ½ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 5 minutes to soften it, drain well.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large, heavy-based pan and cook the ginger, chile and spring onion for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce and tomato paste, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish, ham and snake beans and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the fish is tender.
- Divide the vermicelli among four bowls and top with bean sprouts and mint.
- Spoon the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with peanuts.
- Serve while hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.