For the caramel Edit
- ½ cup sugar
For the flan Edit
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk (like Carnation)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (like Nestlé)
- 1 teaspoonful vanilla extract
- Heat the sugar over medium to medium high heat until it turns to a golden brown caramel.
- Pour (careful, scalding hot!) into the upper half of the baño de Marí so that it covers the whole bottom and about one inch or so of the sides of the baño de Marí pot.
- In a separate dish, beat the eggs lightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed, stirring lightly after each addition.
- Mix thoroughly after all ingredients have been added.
- Pour the mixture into the baño de Marí upper portion slowly so as not to disrupt the caramel layer.
- Fill the lower portion of the boiler (baño de Marí) with water and heat to boiling.
- Lower heat to medium, fit the upper portion in place and cover.
- Cook for about thirty minutes.
- Test for consistency by inserting a table knife through the middle of the flan.
- When it comes out clean, the flan is cooked.
- Insert the table knife along the side of the flan and go all the way around the pot to loosen the edges.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for about an hour.
- Cover with a platter and turn upside down until it drops in the platter.
- If necessary, tap lightly on the bottom of the pan until you feel the weight of the flan on the bottom platter.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.