This whole grain bread, reminiscent of unsweetened corn bread, makes a nice breakfast bread when toasted or a snack with nut butter.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Serves 8
- ½ cup flaxseed
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered gluten-free egg replacer (such as Ener-G)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup high oleic safflower oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (use more maple syrup for a sweeter flavor)
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with olive or canola oil spray.
- In mini-food processor or coffee grinder, process flaxseed until finely ground, about 10 to 20 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine ground flaxseed, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine egg replacer with warm water, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in the soy milk, oil and maple syrup.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Stir in pumpkin seeds.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes then turn it out of the pan to continue cooling on the rack.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (82 g-wt.):
- 240 calories (110 from fat) | 12g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 7g protein | 29g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 2g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 280mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.