- 1 Chicken, 3-4 pounds
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 3 cups water
- 5 onions
- 7 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound fresh Peanut butter
- 4 medium tomatoes, crushed
- 2 1/2 pounds of fresh or dried Shrimp or dried fish (like Cod)
- hot pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the collards, and remove the thick center stem.
- Boil them in a big pot for 30 minutes. If you're using spinach, blanch the spinach for 30 seconds and set aside.
- Cut Chicken into serving pieces and put in a pot with the water, a little salt, and one minced Onion.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Remove the Chicken, pat dry and put aside, reserving the broth.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the broth with the Peanut butter until it becomes liquid. Set aside.
- Fry the Chicken pieces in 4 tablespoons of oil until golden. Remove Chicken.
- In the same pan, put 2 minced onions and the crushed tomatoes,
- Add the Peanut butter sauce and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir often to avoid stickiness.
- Add the Chicken, Shrimp or dried fish, and the hot pepper, the collards or spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the last two onions into rings and saute in 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Put your folon in a serving dish, and put the sauteed Onion rings on top.
- Serve with yams, fried plantains, rice or manioc.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.