In Romanian: Aluat frantuzesc II
- 1 lb / 500 g flour
- 14 oz / 400 g butter or margarine
- 1 cup water
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- flour for dusting
- Make a dough out of 8 oz / 250 g flour and the cubed butter.
- Knead quickly with a wooden spoon and roll into a slightly less than 1 inch thick square.
- Place on a floured plate and refrigerate.
- Prepare a dough from the remaining 8 oz / 250 g flour, water, lemon juice and salt, kneading well with your hands.
- Gather into a ball, cover and let rest for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Then roll this second dough into a sheet that is twice as wide and slightly longer than the sheet made from the butter dough.
- Place the butter dough sheet in the middle of the water dough sheet.
- Then cover the butter sheet with the corners of the water sheet, envelope style.
- Press down on the edges.
- Sprinkle flour on the pastry board, roll the dough into a ½ inch thick sheet, fold fourfold and refrigerate for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Repeat this folding-refrigerating procedure three times.
- Then roll into a ½ inch thick sheet and cut either into circles or squares.
- Put the desired filling (cheese, meat, etc.) in the middle of the dough pieces, wash with egg and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.