- Clean mushrooms.
- Leave caps whole, but chop stems coarsely.
- Fry in ½ cup oil till soft.
- Set aside to drain.
- Peel onions, quarter lettuce and slice tomatoes.
- Add to a frying pan with celery, lemon juice, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, coriander, wine and the rest of the oil.
- Season and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- onions should be tender.
- Remove mushrooms to a shallow dish and bring remaining ingredients to a rapid boil for 4 minutes.
- Pour over mushrooms and chill till ready to serve.