- ½ cup stone-ground white cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder, preferably homemade
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup rice milk
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup (about 5 oz) thinly sliced (⅛- to ¼-inch thick) okra
- about 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Put cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl, and stir well to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and water, and stir into dry ingredients, mixing just until well blended.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper over scallions, corn and okra, and fold vegetables into batter.
- Pour oil into a large skillet, and heat to 340°F.
- Scoop batter by about ¼ cupfuls into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides, carefully turning to brown evenly and to cook through, for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon, and drain fritters on layers of paper towels.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.