Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- In large bowl combine flour, Sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In small bowl blend buttermilk, lemon peel, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yoke.
- Stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions.
- On floured board pat each into a 3-inch circle.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush generously with remaining egg whites, beaten.
- Sprinkle generously with additional Sugar.
- Bake in 450-degree oven 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
- Remove from pan; cool on rack. Sweeten strawberries, to taste.
- Slice each shortcake in half horizontally with a sharp knife.
- Fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.