Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 x 9 inch pie shell, baked
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten slightly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2½ cups fresh California strawberries, stemmed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed, blueberries
- Cool and set aside pie shell.
- In 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes, being careful not to scorch.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to them, stirring, then pour the yolk mixture back into the hot milk.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Let cool for 20 minutes, then pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Chill for several hours until firm.
- In bowl of electric mixer, combine whipping cream and powdered sugar.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Set aside.
- Remove pie from refrigerator.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries on filling.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.