- Serves 4
- 2 tender bitter gourds
- ground turmeric
- peanut oil
- 3 golden shallots, sliced finely
- 2 fresh green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- Wash and dry bitter gourds.
- Cut crossways into slices about 6 mm (¼ in) thick.
- Lay them out on a platter and sprinkle with salt and turmeric on one side, turn the slices over and sprinkle on reverse side.
- Leave for 20 minutes, then blot dry on paper towels.
- Heat sufficient oil to cover base of a heavy frying pan and lay the slices of bitter gourd in the oil in one layer.
- Cook on medium heat until golden underneath, then turn slices over and cook second side.
- Transfer to paper towels with a slotted spoon.
- Lightly mix with shallots and chillies.
- Dissolve sugar in lime juice and pour over.
- Just before serving spoon coconut cream over the salad.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.