Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Old Newspaper Clipping
- 8 – 10 Servings
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 8 egg, separated
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa, about
- 3 cups slightly soften vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt chocolate with water and coffee powder in top of double boiler over hot water. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar in lg bowl until fluffy.
- Stir in cooled chocolate; mix thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Grease jellyroll pan with vegetable oil; cover with sheet of waxed paper extending 1" beyond ends of pan.
- Spread batter evenly over paper.
- Bake 17 – 18 minutes; cake will puff up and surface will have dull finish when done. Do not over bake.
- Soak layer of paper toweling in water and wring dry; place over top of cake.
- Cover with layer of dry paper toweling.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Remove paper toweling. Loosen edges of cake.
- Sprinkle top of cake with cocoa.
- Soak dishtowel in water and wring dry; stretch taut over cake and invert.
- Lift off pan and carefully peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up towel with cake inside it, along long edge. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Unroll cake and spread softened vanilla ice cream evenly over surface.
- Re-roll cake without towel; place seam-side-down on long flat platter or jellyroll board. Don't worry if cake cracks a bit.
- Using spatula or pastry tube with star tip, cover roll with whipped cream.
- Place in freezer until solid, at least 4-5 hr.
- Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- This ma be made in advance and stored in freezer in airtight plastic bag up to 2 weeks.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.